Edited by JOHN DALY
Nina Simone and Her Friends, the 1959 album originally released by Bethlehem Records, has been remastered and will get a holiday release.
The compilation album is comprised of the few remaining unreleased tracks from the 1957 Little Girl Blue recording session plus songs recorded by two other Bethlehem artists, jazz vocalist Carmen McRae and song stylist Chris Connor.
An exclusive “emerald-green” limited-edition 180-gram LP will be available, along with CD and digital-streaming versions (high-definition and standard) on December 3, 2021.
The reissue features a fresh stereo master done by Michael Graves as well as a vinyl remastering by the renowned Kevin Gray. Cheryl Pawelski produced the set, which includes a new essay by Daphne A. Brooks, author of Liner Notes for the Revolution.
Available as a sneak-peak, “African Mailman” is an instrumental track recorded during the Little Girl Blue sessions and showcases Nina Simone’s compelling piano playing. At the time, Simone was in her mid-20s and still aspiring to be a classical concert pianist.
NINA SIMONE AND HER FRIENDS
1. Nina Simone – “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands”
2. Chris Conner – “Someone to Watch Over Me”
3. Carmen McRae – “Old Devil Moon”
4. Nina Simone – “I Loves You, Porgy”
5. Chris Connor – “I Concentrate on You”
6. Carmen McRae – “You Made Me Care”
7. Nina Simone – “For All We Know”
8. Chris Connor – “From This Moment On”
9. Carmen McRae – “Too Much in Love to Care”
10. Nina Simone – “African Mailman”
11. Chris Connor – “All This and Heaven Too”
12. Carmen McRae – “Last Time for Love”