By JOHN DALY
The Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund, founded in memory of the late rock legend, will commemorate the 10th anniversary of his passing with the Memorial Awards Gala on February 20.
The Memorial Awards Gala will take place at The Avalon in Hollywood and will be hosted by radio personality Eddie Trunk. The event honors the legacy of Dio and will recognize people who play a role in the Stand Up and Shout charity. The festivities begin at 6 p.m.
“I am overwhelmed by the support so far for this 10th anniversary commemoration of Ronnie’s passing and the formation of the cancer fund in his name,” said Wendy Dio, Ronnie’s widow and president and founder of the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund. “It will be an extraordinary evening of entertainment and memories for an important cause.”
Live entertainment will be provided by the amazing vocals and visuals of Ronnie James Dio with his live band DIO, featuring vocalists Tim “Ripper” Owens and Oni Logan, and band members Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Scott Warren and Bjorn Englen.
Comedian Brian Posehn will perform a song from his upcoming album accompanied by Scott Ian of Anthrax and Joey Vera of Armored Saint, Fates Warning. Local rockers Sadie and The Tribe will also perform.
Presenters include Sebastian Bach, Tommy Lee of Motley Crue, Jeff Pilson of Foreigner, singer Glenn Hughes, Frankie Banali of Quiet Riot, Fred Coury of Cinderella, Robbie Crane of Black Star Riders and music industry executive Ahmet Zappa.
Distinguished honorees will be presented with awards named after songs written by Ronnie James Dio:
* Holy Diver Award: honoring Rhino Entertainment/Warner Music Group executives Kevin Gore, President, Global Catalog, Recorded Music & Arts Music, Warner Music Group; Mark Pinkus, President, Rhino Entertainment & U.S. Catalog; Jason Day, Vice President, A&R, Rhino Entertainment; Jason Elzy, Vice President, Communications & Marketing, Rhino Entertainment; and Brian Dodd, Manager, Global Artist Brand Management, Rhino Entertainment
* Killing the Dragon Award: Laura Heatherly, Chief Executive Officer, T.J. Martell Foundation, which is dedicated to funding innovative medical research focused on finding treatments and cures for cancer, leukemia and AIDS
* King of Rock ‘n Roll Award: Barry Drinkwater, Executive Chairman, Global Merchandise Services Ltd.
* Magica Award: Wyn Davis, Ronnie James Dio’s Long-Time Recording Engineer and Owner of Total Access Recording Studios
* Master of the Moon Award: honoring BMG executives Thomas Scherer, Executive Vice-President, Repertoire and Marketing L.A., Global Writer Services and China; Michael Kachko, Senior Vice President, Catalog Recordings; Jeff Christian, Director, Catalog; and Kathy Rivkin Daum, Senior Director, Films
* Rainbow in the Dark Award: Mikeal Maglieri, owner of the world-renowned Rainbow Bar and Grill and Whisky A-Go-Go on the Sunset Strip
* Sacred Heart Award: Dr. David Wong, Professor and Associate Dean for Research, UCLA School of Dentistry and Director for UCLA Center for Oral-Head and Neck Oncology Research (COOR)
* Stand Up and Shout Award: Jeff Pezzuti, CEO of Eyellusion, creators of the Dio Returns! hologram