Smalls Change features the work of many musicians Derek has worked with over the years, including Dweezil Zappa, Donald Fagen, Dweezil Zappa, Rick Wakeman, Richard Thompson, Steve Lukather, Joe Satriani, Waddy Wachtel, Michael League, Jeff “Skunk” Baxter, Paul Shaffer, Steve Vai, Larry Carlton, Judith Owen, Jane Lynch and The Hungarian Studio Orchestra. Smalls Change is produced by CJ Vanston (Spinal Tap, Def Leppard, Toto, Joe Cocker).
Smalls Searching for the Light
Derek Smalls describes Smalls Change as “halfway between ‘rage against the dying of the light’ and trying to find the light.” When asked how he managed to round up so many world-class rockers to join the project, Derek’s terse response is “pity fuck.”
Smalls Change is out now via BMG on digital, CD and vinyl and is available to purchase/stream here:
CJ Vanston and Harry Shearer
Jeff “Skunk” Baxter (Steely Dan, Doobie Brothers)
Donald Fagen (Steely Dan)
Danny (Kootch) Kortchmar
Michael League (Snarky Puppy)
Jane Lynch (actress/singer)
Steve Lukather (Toto)
Snarky Puppy Horns
Paul Shaffer (David Letterman, SNL, etc.)
Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Todd Sucherman (Styx)
Rick Wakeman (Yes)
Track list with notes by Derek Smalls
1. Openture (CJ Vanston) – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra
The philosophy of this record, expressed in fewer words than I’ve taken to almost describe it.
2. Rock ‘n’ Roll Transplant (Derek Smalls/CJ Vanston) – Derek with Steve Lukather (guitar, Toto), drum legends Jim Keltner (George Harrison) and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Whatever might be ailing you, rock ’n’ roll is the cure. Ask Dr. Derek!
3. Butt Call (Derek Smalls) – Derek with Phil X (guitar, Bon Jovi) and Taylor Hawkins (drums)
In one lifetime, the telephone has gone from a miracle to a pain in the arse.
4. Smalls Change (Derek Smalls) – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra, Judith Owen (vocals) Danny Kortchmar (guitar, Don Henley) and Russ Kunkel (drums, James Taylor)
Why Lukewarm Water is no longer bracketed by Fire and Ice. A nod to what’s past, and a wink to what’s next.
5. Memo To Willie (Derek Smalls) – Derek with Donald Fagen (vocals), Jeff “Skunk” Baxter and Larry Carlton (guitars, Steely Dan) and The Snarky Puppy Horns
An urgent missive to the Honorable Member: continued tumescence, if you please.
6. It Don’t Get Old (music: David St. Hubbins/lyrics: Derek Smalls) – Derek with Waddy Wachtel (guitar Keith Richards).
Life on the road, an endless series of pointless encounters. What could be better?
7. Complete Faith (CJ Vanston) – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra
A musical interruption.
8. Faith No More (Derek Smalls) – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra and Todd Sucherman (drums, Styx)
As I get older, I look back more fondly on all the people I’ve known. Except for Ian.
9. Gimme Some (More) Money (Derek Smalls) – Derek with Paul Shaffer (piano and organ), Waddy Wachtel (guitar) and David Crosby (vocals)
Time and technology change everything, except the need for change.