By JOHN DALY
Pat Benatar, Melissa Etheridge, Exene Cervenka and the B-52s’ Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson are among the class of 2018 honorees to be celebrated at the She Rocks Awards held during NAMM.
The She Rocks Awards will be held at a new location — The House of Blues in Anaheim — on Jan. 26 at 6:30 p.m.
Benatar a Rock Icon
Benatar, whose birthday is today (Jan. 10), came on the scene in the 1980s with her first hit “Heartbreaker” off the 1979 album In The Heat of The Night. She went on to record megahits “Hit Me With Your Best Shot,” “We Belong” and “Love Is a Battlefield.”
The video for the 1983 song “Love Is a Battlefield” gained a particular following with its rebellious sound and its elaborate Michael Jackson-style dance routine, which captured an audience of fans — women and men — around the world.
Benatar Attains Pop Culture Fame
“Love Is a Battlefield” was so significant it remained on the edge of pop culture and some 30 years was even the recurring theme of the 2004 film “13 Going On 30,” starring Jennifer Garner.
Benatar Joins Exene Cervenka, Melissa Etheridge
Benatar joins an impressive class of 2018 honorees. The honorees are selected for their accomplishments and contributions to the music industry.
The Honorees List
Honored for their contribution to the world of music, the women feted at She Rocks Awards hold an important place in the industry.
- Benatar is a four-time GRAMMY® Award-winning artist
- Melissa Etheridge, Grammy® Award- and Academy® Award-winning artist and activist (See our story)
- The B-52s Kate Pierson & Cindy Wilson, original members of one of the most beloved party rock bands of all time
- Karla Redding-Andrews, Executive Director for The Otis Redding Foundation
- Exene Cervenka, vocalist for the iconic punk band, X
- Amberly Crouse-Knox, Senior Director of Creative and Business Development, BMG Production Music
- Jean Millington Adamian, June Millington, Brie Howard Darling, Patti Quatro Ericson and Alice de Buhr of the pioneering all-female American rock band, Fanny
- Candace Stewart, Studio Manager, EastWest Studios in Hollywood
- Dawn Birr, Channel Manager for the Americas, Sennheiser Business Solutions
- Fabi Reyna, Founder and Editor of She Shreds Media
- Vanessa Mering, Marketing Manager, HARMAN Professional
- Kristy Porter, Guitar Center’s Director of Merchandising, General Accessories & Media
Kat Corbett of KROQ Co-Host
The event will be co-hosted by Kat Corbett, DJ on KROQ in Los Angeles, where she hosts the midday show and local music show, Locals Only, and host for Sirius XM. She’ll be joined by WiMN founder Laura B. Whitmore.
She Rocks Awards To Be Held at House of Blues
Gearing up for its sixth consecutive year, the She Rocks Awards pays tribute to women who display leadership and stand out within the music industry, and has become a standard at the NAMM Show. Previous award recipients include female industry leaders such as Colbie Caillat, Ronnie Spector, Sheila E, The Bangles, Shirley Manson, Esperanza Spalding, Chaka Khan, Jennifer Batten, Karmin, Orianthi, Dinah Gretsch, Craigie Zildjian, and more.
For tickets to the She Rocks Awards go to the website.
NAMM will be held at the Anaheim Convention and Visitors Center January 25-28. For more information go to the NAMM website